Jim Krause Music Instruction and More
I am proud to have been a part of the Americana Music Academy teaching staff since 2004. I began teaching banjo, then added fiddle and guitar students over time. I teach all ages; youth to seniors. (It's never too late to learn!). My specialties are the old-time claw hammer, or frailing style of banjo; finger picking guitar, and old-time contradance style fiddle.
Major influences are:
- Guitar: Chet Atkins, Merle Travis, Blind Blake, Roger McGuinn, Duane Eddy, James Burton
- Banjo: Kyle Creed, Beverly Cotten,
- Fiddle: Tommy Jarrell, Henry Reed,
Beginners and intermediate students are welcome.
Group Lessons Available:
In conjunction with the Americana Music Academy, I'm pleased to announce a program of group or ensemble lessons
- Old-Time String Band Learn to play in an ensemble creating dynamic, dance rhythms, and harmony singing. Instrumental emphasis will be on claw hammer style banjo, old-time fiddle, and rhythm guitar.
- The Craft of Lyric Writing Learn how well crafted songs are put together by studying the masters from American song writers like Stephen Foster to George Gershwin, from Sammy Cahn to Roy Orbison, Cole Porter to John Prine.
Contact me for details.